The introduction of the Napoleonic Code in the Palatinate brought with it a new spirit of entrepreneurship among ordinary citizens. Since 1828, the family’s predecessors have been devoted to viticulture. In the century which followed, the company became one of the leading vineyards and businesses in the Palatinate. With the opening up of the borders for the importation of wine at the end of the 1960s, Jorge Böhm began importing Portuguese wine into Germany. In the 1970s Böhm started building up his own brand for imported Portuguese wines. With the rapid growth in the food trade, the pricing pressure exerted by fewer and fewer bulk buyers made doing business very difficult. Jorge Böhm withdrew from these trading activities and focused his efforts on promoting the family business instead. With that in mind, Jorge Böhm came to Portugal in search of new opportunities.